Fairtrade Certified Gold is the world’s first independent ethical certification system for gold.
By using Fairtrade Gold I know that it makes a real difference to the lives of miners, their families and communities. When you buy a piece of my jewellery that has Fairtrade Gold in the design it means you know the small-scale and artisanal miners were paid a fair price, giving them financial security.
They also receive an extra amount of money to invest in building the future of their families and their communities, through education, medical care or environmental projects.
I am currently a Registered Goldsmith which means I:
- Show my support for miners by using Fairtrade gold in my business
- Buy less than 500g of Fairtrade gold or Platinum, or 2Kg of Silver per year
- Can access a range of ready-made promotional materials to promote my support for Fairtrade gold
- Can be found on the Fairtrade Goldsmith Finder
As a Registered Goldsmiths I renew my membership on an annual basis and comply with their terms and conditions. These include:
- only using the pre-approved promotional materials provided.
- Buying Fairtrade metal from a licensed supplier, whose full supply chain is audited to Fairtrade Gold Standards.
- My finished pieces of jewellery will not be able to have the Fairtrade stamp applied due to traceability ending with the supplier.
Fairtrade changes the way trade works through decent working conditions, protection of the environment and a fairer deal for gold miners in developing countries. By buying jewellery from businesses supporting Fairtrade Gold, consumers can create change through their everyday actions and mining communities can improve their lives and invest in their future. It makes me feel good making jewellery with Fairtrade Gold and will make you feel good buying it and wearing it!